Tuesday, November 22, 2011

You Just Lost One, Letter to Satan * Blair Wingo

Dear Satan,

I’m writing you this letter to inform you that our relationship is officially done.
You just lost one!
Cause for too long I’ve battled in my mind
Your voice v. God’s v. mine
For too long I’ve entertained the same thoughts as Cain
Like how truthfully my flesh loves to be first
How my pride tries to cover and hide so I can’t see the extent of this curse
So I’m returning all your gifts
Rejecting all your myths
See all this time I thought that I had control, but you were controlling this
Despite me doing good works in the church
Thinking I was a Christian
All the while allowed your spirit to lurk
What a deception
You went to church with me
A thwarted perception
Saying that I love God louder and louder
But had a spiritual infection
I see you’re a deceiver; you take advantage of every weak part
I could come to church every week
As long as I don’t apply the word to my heart
We were friends because I did what you wanted me to
I thought a little sin wouldn’t hurt
I mean I didn’t want to sleep with you
I just thought it would be cool to flirt
But I see you play for keeps
Now I know that the Word is true
What you sow is what you reap
I keep saying I’m so blessed, I’m so blessed
All the while secretly giving you a kiss
I remember all the places we used to go
Now inwardly it makes me sick
Like how you talked me into going to the club
At first I really didn’t want to go
I thought it wouldn’t affect me
But while I was there my lust began to flare and I got hot and heavy
Started thinking about the dudes in the room
Wanting to ride off in their Chevy
Or the comedy spots where we sat and laughed enjoying ourselves all night
When they were joking and mocking the church like that situation is light
And explicit sexual content echoed through that mic
And I laughed like it was alright
Now I know God wasn’t laughing
Even though you and I was on a roll
I see it was because my heart was so numb and cold
In the back of my mind
I thought I’d really give God 100% when I’m old
Once I’m done having my fun
Then I thought what if I don’t make it past 25, then what?
What did I live for?
I just can’t ignore anymore this proposal from the Lord
So I changed my number so you would no longer call
And I would no longer fall
But even though I did all that you still controlled me from afar
Because I was just trying to be a better person
Stopped clubbing, stopped sex, stopped cursing
Dropped friends, cause of greed stopped working
But stopping things don’t rid the seed of the serpent
It was all self-righteousness
A righteousness I created
It’s like using filthy rags to take a bath
When the truth is my entire sin nature is bad
And me stopping those things never dealt with the wickedness of my heart
If I thought someone did me wrong
I was so quick to lash back, all the while singing a praise song
Even though the Bible says repay not evil for evil, I refused to believe
And your strings got me doing things that I can’t even help
Trying to love my brother but always thinking about myself
What a curse
Like I could run up and hug someone at church
But because inwardly I wanted to be first
Didn’t realize it but I was wishing them the worst
Although the outside was clean
The inside of the cup was filthy and mean
So I wrestled with the conclusion
Maybe I’ve been excluded from being able to live this Christian life
But then that sounds like your voice
You’ve influenced so much of my life
Those events help me see how powerless I am
And the reality is there is only one way
And before I was set free, I had to realize I was a slave
I have no merit, virtue or favor with God
It’s Christ’ poured out lifeblood that saves
And I’m sick of it, my sin
I’ve defended it, time and time again
Dead in my transgression but now I’ve come on out of the grave
Because this new relationship is based solely by grace through faith
And my life is a result of what I believe
Since you shall know a tree by the root and the fruit
So rather than just dress modestly, I’m checking my heart too
Making sure there is no vanity
Or that I’m dressing to grab the attention of humanity
Because I know what I can do, if I remain in a relationship with you
My potential outside of Christ is extremely detrimental
So I’m clinging on with all I’ve got
So now when I think of all the movies we went to
Man I get so hot
Cause Christ has won my heart
I can’t sit there and glory in the violence on that screen
And even though I used to justify by saying I never hurt anyone
I was being entertained by the very thing
God choose to destroy the world for in Genesis 6
He said the earth was corrupt and filled with violence
So the only reason I wasn’t destroyed
Was God’s kindness
You see you helped me build a tower like you did with Nimrod
But I’m tearing it down for my God
By the way I’m clearing out my ipod
I’m giving you back all your music
Couldn’t see it before
This tool you were using
Different song
Different score
Brought the same conclusion
All about lust, money, self and sex
Yet those things are the reason Christ was out to death
Who you using next
Chris Brown, T-pain, souljah boy, ne-yo, Beyonce or Game?
Every artist motivation is the same
To take my heart away from the reason Christ came
I could say I’m saved all the while exalting men
Not a fanatic for Christ cause I’m a TI fan
No-one no-one, not even Alicia keys supersedes the reason Christ bleeds
No-one no-one has even ever heard Alicia sing about why Christ is grieved
And I thought her music was positive
But when I look into the word, Christ and Alicia are opposites
Christ is on my mind
So you won’t see me bobbing it
Because He’s all I need
He is all I need
Cause all that music was to glorify me
Yet the reason Christ came was to mortify me
To crucify my flesh
Not to be the Christian in Christian-Dior up in the video with Kanye West
Now I see
How he’s saying he’s Christian yet he’s exalting women, sex, and greed
And I said I was just listening to the beats
You had me so blind to the content
I was so deceived
Didn’t realized Satan disguised as I was hitting repeat
At the same time they were pushing repeat when my savior was beat
Pierced in His wrist and feet
To take away these worldly lusts these songs stir within me
So I confess
I’m no longer impressed with you whack lines
You’ll give me all your kingdoms if I bow and worship at your shrine
And I used to
But now I’m adopted into the vine
So every lie you told me
Like you being my homie
That I could rep Christ as long as we kicked it on the low key
I’m done with you and all the excuses you gave
Like living holy is a long process
But the truth is, you didn’t want me to change
I used to be a daughter of lies
You used to be my master
But now I’m at the feet of Christ with me box of alabaster
Because He redeemed me, set me free
And I will spend my time, all of eternity
Learning Him
Wiping His feet with my tears
Oh well, there will be no tears in heaven
But I will sit and give Him reverence
Because I know I’m undeserving of His love
See I’m now covered in the blood of the Son
So in case you forgot
I’m writing this letter to inform you that our relationship is officially done,

You just lost one!

4 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful poem... its really good... God bless you.
    i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible Words......Was referred to this poem by a friend.....meet my best friend, my true-love.....Thank you Jesus

    ReplyDelete